Meeting future demand in an environmentally responsible manner will be an enormous challenge. Following brief statements on key issues facing global energy supply and demand, there will be a discussion with audience Q & A. Questions will be fed through to the moderator in advance and during the discussion via interactive handsets, as well as live from audience members.
Key questions include:
- To what extent can rising demand be curbed by better planning and more efficient use of energy?
- Fossil fuels are dominant and the resources are enormous, but the outlook for supply as a function of cost is uncertain. Will a peak in production of easily accessible conventional oil lead to ever increasing prices?
- What are the viable scalable alternatives (fossil fuels with CCS, nuclear, solar, wind…)?
- How will pricing externalities affect investment in the energy sector?
- Shifting power politics & the implications of possible US energy independence